Long distance moving requires a lot of planning and focus. Whether you are moving your home or business, being prepared is the key to a successful move. When you hire Arpin Rhode Island or their supporting agents, you can be sure that you will be assisted every step of the way. Stay organized while preparing for your move.
Long Distance Moving Prep Tips
- Contact your moving company two-three months before your preferred moving day. Get your estimate early so that you can choose which moving day works best for you.
- Point out “special-care” items to your moving representative. Items such as pool tables, waterbeds, heavy-duty equipment and vehicles MUST be mentioned at the time of your estimate.
- Decide whether you want to hire professional packing services or do it yourself.
- Discuss valuation protection options with your representative.
- Seek out resources for long-distance moving with children and pets if applicable (See Arpin moving guides).
- Use up perishable food items and cleaning supplies that will not be loaded onto the moving truck.
- Sort and organize belongings into throw-away and donation piles. Hold a yard sale or drop off anything unwanted to the appropriate destinations.
- Contact utility companies to shut off/set-up utilities in old and new locations.
- Drain gas and oil from power appliances.
- Separate belongings that will be traveling with you rather than going on the moving truck. Be sure to keep sensitive documents on you during your move.
- Pack a “first night” box, notify your driver which box this is so that it is easily accessible.
- If you are doing your own packing, be sure to clearly mark and label all boxes. Pack room to room to keep belongings organized.
- Make arrangements with your local bank, pharmacy, doctor’s office, etc. Let them know you are moving away from the area.
- If needed, give the moving driver directions to your new home.
For a more thorough list, check out our moving planner which includes all of this information and much more.